2020 is the year of the smartphone. With new styles and innovative tech, industry giants like Google, Samsung, and LG are pulling out all the stops this year with their smartphone lineup. The devices that stand out the most this year include the Pixel 5, LG Velvet, Galaxy Note 20, and the Galaxy Note S20.
Keep reading to learn more about what makes these devices stand apart from the competition (and how to score major deals on them).
Google Pixel 5
The newest Pixel from Google is here. Instead of features like a high-end processor and face unlock system like the Google Pixel 4 has, this new Pixel is simpler, consisting of the core features of an Android phone. Moreover, the Google Pixel 5 is less expensive than the latest releases from Apple and Samsung, making it an attractive option for those on tighter budgets.
Pricing & Deals
The Pixel 5 is $699, meaning it costs $100 less than the Pixel 4. Even better, there are several deals currently available for this phone.
- Verizon is offering a trade-in program that will allow customers to trade in an old device and save up to $550 on their phones.
- Verizon is also offering a $250 gift card for those who are switching over from another carrier.
- Additionally, Verizon is offering free streaming subscription bundles.
- The company Best Buy is offering a $50 rebate with device activations; thus, customers will be able to purchase the phone at a lower price.
Notable features include the following:
- Water resistance
- 5G capabilities, making it suitable for ultra-fast downloading and clear HD streaming
- HD duo screen sharing, allowing for high-quality video calling
- Google Assistant, which will screen calls, filter out robocalls, and help users manage their everyday tasks
Other details about this phone include:
- Dimensions – 5.7 inches in height, 2.8 inches in width, and 0.3 inches in depth
- Weight – 151 grams
- Battery – minimum 4000 mAh
- RAM – 8 GB of LPDDR4x RAM
- Storage – 128 GB of storage
- Rear camera – 12.2 MP dual-pixel; its video quality is 1080p at 30 FPS, 60 FPS, 120 FPS, and 240 FPS; autofocus paired with dual pixel phase detection and optical and electronic image stabilization
- Front camera – 8 MP; its video quality is 1080p at 30 FPS; fixed focus
- Frame – 100% recycled aluminum
- Screen – Corning® Gorilla® Glass 6
- Durability – IP68 water and dust resistance
- Warranty – 1 year
The first thing you’ll notice about the LG Velvet phone is how it strays from this electronic giant’s typical business model. Namely, every LG phone before this one has launched as part of an established series of devices. The Velvet, however, is a standalone model that shows the company’s willingness to experiment.
Pricing & Deals
Velvet keeps things simple. The MSRP is $599 to buy it outright, making it one of the cheapest devices with 5G connectivity. The rest of the specs are also quite favorable when you compare them to other phones in this price range. That being said, the Velvet won’t be going toe to toe with the more expensive flagship models anytime soon.
One of the best deals on the LG Velvet comes from AT&T. You can get the phone for just $10 a month when you sign up for a new line. The payments last for 30 months and you must also remain in a contract with them for the duration of the installments. However, getting the Velvet for just $300 is a steal.
If you don’t want to switch to AT&T, you can always wait for one of the common annual sale days. Events such as Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day are all great opportunities to snag any phone on the cheap. You can also have a retailer email you whenever the Velvet goes on sale; you can find this option on the product page of most online vendors.
Here’s all the basics that you need to know:
- Dimensions: 167.2 x 74.1 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 180 grams
- Display: P-OLED
- Screen Size: 6.8 inches
- Resolution: 1080 x 2460 pixels
- Pixel Density: 395 PPI
- GPU: Adreno 630
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold + 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- RAM: 6 GB
- Storage Capacity: 128 GB
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- OS: Android 10 and LG UX 9
- Rear Camera: 48 MP (wide) + 8 MP (ultrawide) + 5 MP (macro)
- Front Camera: 16 MP
- Image Resolution: 2160p
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps, gyro-EIS
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wireless Charging: 9W fast charger
- Battery: Li-Po 4300 mAh + Fast charging 30W + Fast wireless charging 10W
Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra
Not just any smart device will do. Samsung understands that, which is why the company is releasing the new Samsung Note 20 and Samsung Note 20 Ultra. These devices not only run smoothly, but offer a host of added goodies for every techie out there.
The Note 20 typically costs $999.99. The Note 20 Ultra typically costs $1,299.99.
This phone is made for selfie lovers and aspiring photographers alike.
On the back of the phone is the camera setup. This consists of one 12-megapixel ultra-wide camera, one 12-megapixel wide-angle camera, and one 64-megapixel 3x telephoto camera that does not reduce image quality when zooming in. Going beyond just the 3x optical zoom, this phone has a total of 30x zoom. Also, video can be captured in 8k resolution. On the front of the phone is the 10-megapixel selfie camera.
Note 20 Ultra
The wide angle camera is 108 megapixels, the 5x telephoto camera is 12-megapixels and zooms in without losing image quality, and the ultra-wide camera is 12-megapixels. The Ultra’s total zoom reaches 50x, and it too can record in 8k resolution. Laser auto-focus is also featured on the Note 20 Ultra’s camera setup. Finally, on the front is the same 10-megapixel selfie camera.
Grab the S Pen
Unlike other smartphones, both the Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy 20 Ultra feature the S Pen stylus. This stylus has many useful features, such as being able to handwrite on the screen and then turning what has been written into a text message or a PowerPoint presentation. Users can also use the stylus to take selfies.
Galaxy Note S20 & S20 Ultra
The S20 series include earlier flagship models from this tech giant.
Samsung released the S20 at $999.99 and the S20 Ultra at $1,399.99 for the 128GB option and $1,599.99 for the 512GB option.
One of the main selling points of the S20 lineup? Its 100x zoom capability on the S20 Ultra.
Other technical features of the Note S20’s cameras include:
- Camera: 12-megapixel (wide-angle), 64-megapixel (telephoto), 12-megapixel (ultra-wide)
- Front-facing camera: 10 megapixel
- Video capture: 8k
Specs of the S20 Ultra’s cameras include:
- Camera: 108-megapixel (wide-angle), 48-megapixel (telephoto), 12-megapixel (ultra-wide), time-of-flight camera
- Front-facing camera: 40 megapixel
- Video capture: 8k